The rescue of the 12 boys from the Thai cave in 2018, required the help of GIS and 3D digital mapping. The Thailand Department of Mineral Resources invited GIS experts from Esri Thailand to create a series of maps to assess the possible location of the teenagers. Due to unforeseen circumstances, they had to change their approach therefore, they collected the cave data recorded in the previous expeditions, and produced a 3D map that visualised the waterways in and above the cave, as well as the dimensions of each waterway. GIS, as a matter of fact, is also good at monitoring air quality, tracking epidemics, planning urban development, and managing country parks and water resources.
- Speech by Mr Edwin Tong SC, Minister for Culture, Community and Youth and Second Minister for Law at the Official Launch of OneMap3D (15 September 2021)
- Welcome Message by Mr Colin Low, Chief Executive, Singapore Land Authority at the Official Launch of OneMap3D (15 September 2021)
- OneMap’s SchoolQuery Function
- Digital Twin of Kampong Glam
- Using Digital Twins for Disaster Recovery